Below you can read about and peruse all types of easy to install squirrel baffles, a simple accessory to stop squirrels from raiding the birdfeeder. A baffle is an especially useful accessory for those of us that like ornamental or old wooden birdfeeders and not the new squirrel proof ones. The article includes some homemade squirrel baffles, as well as some tips and videos which remind you about what to remember/consider before purchasing , as well as before installing. To get an idea of what is available you can take a look at the large selection of baffles available by clicking HERE, or looking or clicking on the Amazon window below.
WHEN A SQUIRREL BAFFLE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED
The best method of repelling squirrels at the bird feeder is to choose a proven squirrel proof birdfeeder and to hang it in the best method, and in the best place, to avoid these furry felons from getting on the feeder and cleaning out your seed. However, sometimes this is not always possible for those that already have a non-squirrel proof bird feeder. This is most usually the case with the nice old wooden homemade bird feeders and was my situation because I have a post mounted wooden bird feeder that was built by my departed father and which has sentimental value to me. So while I may go out in the future and buy a new squirrel proof bird feeder, I want to hang on to the old one as long as possible. In the meantime I still want to stop the squirrels from cleaning out the bird seed daily. Squirrel baffles, sometimes known as squirrel guards are a tried and true method of accomplishing this.
WHAT TYPE OF SQUIRREL BAFFLE IS RIGHT FOR YOUR FEEDER: HOW IS YOUR FEEDER HUNG?
Squirrel baffles esentially come in four types. How your feeder is hung or displayed will determine which type you must choose:
1. Dome shaped squirrel baffles installed above hanging feeders. These have the added benefit of protecting the feeder and seed from the weather;
2. Cylindrical squirrel baffles for feeders mounted on poles;
3. Cylindrical squirrel baffles for feeders mounted on posts, and
4. Torpedo shaped squirrel baffles for feeders mounted on poles.
There are some so called squirrel baffles, e.g. Twirl a Squirrel that actually are electric and twirl the squirrel off the feeder when his weight is applied to the feeder. However, they are not baffles in the traditional sense.
HOW SQUIRREL BAFFLES WORK
When you install a squirrel baffle on your bird feeder pole, post, or over a hanging feeder, it creates a physical barrier which squirrels can’t climb or reach around to get to the feeder. The shape of the baffle makes the squirrel have to reach and the texture of the baffle gives the squirrel nothing to hold on to. It’s quite a simple but proven product:
SQUIRREL BAFFLES DO WORK ONLY IF YOU INSTALL THEM CORRECTLY AND CONSIDER SOME OF THESE TIPS
1. If you buy a squirrel baffle for a pole mounted, or a wooden post mounted bird feeder, make sure it is appropriate for the diamater of the pole or post you have your feeder on. Product descriptions will say the diameter of the pole or post the baffle fits. Post mounted baffles are usually for 4 X 4 posts.
2. If you buy a dome shaped squirrel baffle for placing over your hanging feeder remember these only work if the squirrel’s only access to the feeder is from above. If you have the feeder hung so that squirrels can jump on it (they can easily jump 6 feet–see video below) from a nearby branch or structure, this type of baffle will do no good. In such a case re-hang the feeder farther away from lateral adjoining branches, or trim the branches so squirrels can’t reach the feeder from the side. Make sure the ONLY access to the feeder is from above, then install a baffle.
3. If you mount a squirrel baffle on a pole make sure it is high enough so that thesquirrel can’t jump up on it, or over it, and that there are no nearby objects from which the squirrel can increase his jumping off point. Here is a case in point of in improperly positioned feeder making the baffle ineffective:
4. Also to remember if you buy a domed shaped squirrel baffle is to make sure it is recommended for all types of hanging feeders because some are particular manufactured for specific bird feeders.
5. Make sure any of the hardware for installing the squirrel baffles comes with the product. You dont want to receive the baffle and then have to make another trip for hardware to install it.
HOMEMADE SQUIRREL BAFFLE IDEAS
Here are some of the more unique ideas for making homemade squirrel baffles: